Skip to main content

Malan Breton, A Once In A Generation Man

Malan Breton is a name that many around the world, within the fashion industry have become familiar with. But who is the man behind the art? Malan is someone I met just before I began to even understand myself as a person. He has been a rock for not just me but for so many inspiring people around the world. He manages to be a true friend to so many while he simultaneously has created designs that have awed and inspired millions of people across the planet both in and out of the industry.


During London Fashion Week of September 2023, Malan had his final show as he moves forward into the next chapter of his life. He also had his final New York Fashion Week Show in February of 2023. Both shows not only highlighted the grand and top tier talent of Malan Breton, but he highlighted his friends and muses that have been true to him through his life. Packing both the runway and the audience, with artists, socialites, celebrity guests, and good friends, all of whom love and respect Malan like a member of their own family. Why do people like Malan so much? He is among the most real, down to earth and truly genuine people I have met in my entire existence on this planet. Now I know this is hard for many people to believe just hearing it from me. So just like we normally do on Make A Difference, I have interviewed some of the amazing people that have stuck by Malan through all this time, to ask them what it is that they feel and think about Malan. 


Malan I now write this to you my dear sweet friend. I met you in one of the most pain filled moments of my life. You helped take that darkness I was in and let the light shine through enough to re-ignite my own shine. Without your guidance, friendship and inspiration, I would have never returned to be the person I have become and will become. Your light shines through the darkness in some of the most difficult of times we have faced. So read on my friend and know how truly loved you are and that you more than most, have truly Made A Difference in this world. 


Now without any further delay, it is my great pleasure, and honor to present these statements you are about to read. Friendships both new and old, have come to Make A Difference to show their love to someone they all love and hold close to their hearts, Malan Breton. 

"When I first met Malan Breton, I believe it was at a birthday brunch for our mutual friend Cameron Grey Rose, who is no longer with us.

I just remember my first impression of him was how stunning and sophisticated he is. It all seemed so effortless for him. He has such an exotic look, yet he was so approachable, easy to talk to, and not afraid to laugh.

Shortly after that, I began to cover/film his fashion shows & interviewing people on the red carpets post show. After every huge show, I knew how busy he was, and everyone wanted to talk to him and get their picture taken with him. Yet, he always made time to come over, let me interview him for as long as necessary. And doing so with his signature sophistication and elegance.

He is a very strong unshakeable man, driven and focused, yet with a vulnerable and sensitive soul that matches his perspective of life. He can make tough decisions and run an empire yet can possibly be reduced to tears when he witnesses the death of a butterfly. He has an affinity for beauty in this world and certainly has the talent to add to that beauty. He never backs down from controversy or making strong political statements with his art.

My favorite memory of Malan Breton, was one year for NYC Winter Fashion Week, his show was at Madison Square Garden. A huge blizzard blew into New York that morning and lasted all day long. I really did not want to go out, but realized that the extreme weather was going to deter many going, especially from outside the city. I don’t think it was even possible for them to get into the city. So, living in Upper Manhattan, I covered myself up and headed to the subway and went to show my support as well as to cover the event.

I decided I’d like to get some backstage footage of the backstage chaos before a show. So, I go backstage with my camera bag and tripod. I see Malan, running from one place to another. I told him, though I’d love to get an interview before the show, I understood it would not be possible.

He faced me, put both of his hands on both my arms, looked me squarely in my face and said (with that beautiful elegant accent) “Tym, a few of my dressers are not here. They couldn’t make it in because of the storm. Would you please be able to help me out and get some of the models their outfits and help them get dressed?”
I tossed my camera bag to the side and said “I would love to. You go do whatever else you need to do. We got this covered.”
Next thing I know, I’m pulling outfits off the rack, handing them out, zipping up zippers, while I’m helping a model balance on one foot trying to put her shoe on. It was such a wonderful experience I’ll never forget! Then I went out, set up my camera and taped the show after which, I covered the red-carpet doing interviews and sure enough, out came Malan and once again. in his typical fashion, came over and calmly gave me an interview. What a professional he is!!

When I think of Malan, I think of beauty, style, sophistication, boldness, unapologetic fashion, and a very kind and beautiful person, inside and out.

Malan, I am always so incredibly proud of you wherever life takes you. I cannot wait to see what you create as your next chapter in this life. As you always do, it will be grand, fabulous and creative.

Malan, always know I’m here whenever you may need me. The world is more beautiful, elegant and spiritual because you are in it.

With Love,
Tym Moss" 

Montgomery Frazier
"I met Malan at Sonja Morgan’s notorious “gay parties” in her infamous townhouse!
I’ve had so many memorable moments with Malan, because as an Image Guru we’ve collaborated well because he’s a consummate showman who displays a commitment to exquisite fashion shows, photo shoots, and red-carpet moments! The NYFW AW 2019 show that we did together at Madison Square Garden was a most memorable show because it was done on one of the most epic winter storms on record in NYC. Yet despite being snowed in with roads, trains and airports close, almost 5000 people attended. That fashion show started off with modeling dancers dancing in a “gay” 1920’s style then eventually morphing into a fascist, dystopian barrage or beauties marching in unison to a regimented, Fascist beat, mimicking the tenor of the times!
From London, NYC & LA we’ve traveled the world making FAB fashion moments! When I hear the name Malan Breton, I immediately think, "innovative men's fashion & breathtaking women’s gowns with a global following that rivals some of the top fashion houses!"

Malan turn the page on your life as you’re reading the script to another epic adventure… then produce it! With ❤️ Montgomery"
(Consulo Vanderbilt, Malan Breton, Montgomery Fraizer,London Fashion Week F/W-2023, Image by David Warren Images)


"I didn't know Malan before this past September, I am new in the industry, and I heard about him through This Is Icon. I was invited to be part of London Fashion Week for Malan Breton and once I googled him, I was so excited to walk for him. Coincidentally it was his last show, I met him at a crossroads of the beginning of a chapter of my fashion career and the end of one of his likely many chapters. 

(Elton Ilirjani Walking for Malan Breton for London Fashion Week F/W-2023)
Coming from genderless modeling it was different to do in Europe. My look was all black with outstanding black detail, it was like a mystical experience and perfectly matched to genderless modeling. 

These kinds of relationships shortly started are meant to be. When I think of Malan, I think of great art and designs, I even took his outfit to do a luxury painted portrait in the Hamptons that will be ready for release in 6 months, He entered my life and changed it, I know many designers and many runways and I love them all, but Malan is different, he is a designer but also a magician. 

I think Malan should and will continue creating and being an outstanding and innovative artist. Malan, search deep in your soul and mind, I think you are the new era of fashion creativity, innovation and inclusivity. Malan you are the only designer I know that can make a colorful black and nobody promotes genderless fashion and inclusivity with such elegance as you. Malan will be the new generation's equivalent to the previous generation's love for Versace."


"I met Malan during his first fashion show in New York City. My friend Consuelo Vanderbilt was modeling for him and introduced him to me. I remember thinking how exquisite his clothes were. When I decided to do my cabaret show in 2019, the first person, I thought of to make my costumes was Malan. Montgomery Frazier introduced me to him, and he was able to conceive, the costumes for my entire show. 

We worked together for months. Malan was in London. But he was involved in every little detail. I have used his costumes for my show ever since that time. They are perfect. They make me feel like a gorgeous goddess on stage. 

I have since had many social times with Malan. He is such a gentle soul. I adore him. And I wish him well with health and in life."
(Malan Breton, Pamela Morgan at a Jean Shafiroff Party)

"I was introduced to Malan by his dear friend Montgomery. I don’t remember the year. Malan liked my daughter Mason’s look and asked her to walk in his show several years ago. From then on, I got to know Malan. He was so kind to my daughter, and I just adore him. He has a warmth about him that emanates through his soulful eyes. He’s a sensitive, caring person of whom I value very much.
-Camille" 
(Camille Meyer, Malan Breton NYFW SS-2018)


Theresa Pil
"I remember the first time I met you Malan! We both attended amfAR's New York screening of the film "Oy Vey! My Son Is Gay!" at the Directors Guild Theatre on October 29, 2009, in New York City.  Frankie Grande was with you. As I entered, with my husband, Frankie stood up at started yelling Theresa, Theresa! I looked over and saw Frankie, Sean and you (a handsome man I had never met). My husband and I walked over and me, Frankie and Sean were hugging and so excited to randomly be at the same screening. Frankie introduced us. You were gentle and kind. You could not know I had recently lost weight and had on a new dress. Yet you complimented the dress and told me I looked stunning, and then you said, I am a designer. My heart went boom that a designer loved the dress I was wearing!!! 

The next time I saw you was at the holiday party for Broadway in South Africa on 12/14/2009 and you were the Event Chair. You sang and I said he can sing too!! You had the stunning Ashley Shaw with you wearing one of your dresses. I fell in love with that gorgeous black dress and had so much fun that night with you and Ashley. That is also the same night I took the picture of you with Virgin Records in the background. Then we went to Birdland, and you sang some more!!


From there you began inviting me to your Fashion Shows. Each time I had the privilege of seeing your work was an absolute honor. And my God, are you talented my friend!!!  I always worried about you leading up to the shows because I knew the toll that they took on you. But each time your collection was more spectacular than the previous. You have an eye for color, flow, style, fabric and the models wearing your stunning creations are always beautiful. 
I am so proud of the career you had but even more proud of the person you are! You are kind, generous, loyal, funny, inclusive, unpretentious and a dear, dear friend. I wish you peace moving forward. Until our paths cross again be well my friend. 
I love you, always.
xoxo
Theresa"

"I met Malan in beginning of his career through a mutual friend, I went to his show and I was quite surprised and impressed seeing his work. He also came by the house for champagne and dinner. A mutual friend very close to me brought him, my impression of him was that he had a fabulous blue velvet outfit on that he had designed himself with loafer shoes. He always, every time I would see him would be dressed impeccably. I went to the last show he did in NYC as I would not miss it because I had always been away or working the runway during the other shows he had done, so I attended his final in NYC.

One of my favorite things about Malan is that after we don't see each other for years, because of life, once you see him again, it is like no time has passed since you last saw him. I saw him at a party Maribel chocolate hosted. We gave each other the biggest most genuine hug that set an atmosphere that no time had ever passed as we picked up exactly where we left off. He is always so sincere and of course has he always is so impeccably dressed. I think Malan is very talented and I am praying that he continues to make art with the same grace and elegance that I know flows through him so naturally. 

 Xxxxx Mwah

Jose Castelo Branco"

(Jose Castelo Branco)
Jean Shafiroff
I honestly cannot remember when exactly I met Malan, but maybe at one of his very glamorous fashion shows that I was invited to as a special guest. The fashion show where I think we were introduced to one another was at Cipriani 42nd Street in NYC. It was absolutely the most beautiful show.

Malan and I have spent many nights dining together in NYC - and we especially love our time together at Casa Cipriani in NYC. I am a member of the Club and always enjoy bringing Malan Breton. One night he actually got up and sang in the Cabaret Room. He was invited to do so - and as you know he has an absolutely beautiful voice. Everyone loved his performance!  Malan Breton has been my guest at the French Heritage Society gala and then the Viennese Opera Ball. He has made many of the couture gowns that I wore to these and other events. They are absolutely beautiful, and I will wear them again and again. 

When I think of Malan Breton, I think of a highly talented person who is humble, kind and gracious. Malan is also very smart and the Ambassador of Tourism for the country of Taiwan. I also think of what a wonderful and close friend he is to me.
  
Malan will always be successful no matter what course his life takes. He will always be a dear friend of mine! He is loved by many people!
  
Malan, you are one of my best friends. I respect you greatly and will always cherish our friendship. Malan, you are a very talented fashion designer, businessman and performer. My family and I all love you as a very dear friend. 
- Jean Shafiroff 
        
Malan Breton and Jean Shafiroff at the French Heritage Society gala November 2022. Both Malan and Jean Shafiroff are wearing outfits designed by Malan Breton. Photo by Patrick McMullan for Getty Images. 


"I met my friend Malan at one of his fashion shows for New York Fashion Week at Gotham Hall. I remember that cold winter day, I brought my best friend Nicole Cinicolo (may she rest in peace) with me. Her mom was a model for Italian Vogue in the 70s and thought we fashion week might be something fun to do together. Both Nicole and I were completely mind blown by the quality of art and presentation. We were further blown away by his humanity. Malan, like I had mentioned, is among the most kind, true, gentle and genuine people I have met in my life. This shines through not just in the first moments you meet him, but also in every interaction anyone has with him. 

My favorite memory with Malan, aside from him being the first human to see me physically present as female, is one of my more recent memories. I attended Malan's final show in NYFW. I, like I usually am when it comes to Malan, was completely blown away by his art. I witnessed the fashion show, like I do every annually, with tears of joy streaming down my face. Malan and I had not seen each other in some time, we had both recently been there for each other through some dark turbulent times. With tears in our eyes, we hugged after the show, catching up quickly before leaving the venue.

When thinking of Malan, the highest quality of human comes to mind. Naturally gifted, with talents that he has fine-tuned to absolute perfection, creating art that captivates all who view it while highlighting a deeper purpose. Malan cares about every soul, every life, every blade of grass on this planet, he loves and is loved in return. 

Malan, in this next chapter of your life, I want you to live your life. I want you to love more than you ever loved. I want you to sing, to dance and to smile. You deserve all the joyous and love filled memories to have and to make. I love you my kind, gentle and sweet friend. I am so endlessly thankful for your existence and continued health. With this, I hope you see how so very loved and cherished you are. Keep Shining Bright my friend and always Make A Difference.  

-Chris Avery Bennet"


Make A Difference Most Popular

Frank Lowe

Frank Lowe is a name that is quickly becoming synonymous with single gay dads all over social media and beyond. Frank Lowe is now taking his divorce, after 17 years of marriage, and doing something positive with it. The blogger and YouTuber  is taking social media by storm with his story to offer support to other single or divorced gay dads. It isn’t easy to go through a divorce, let alone with a child, but Frank is opening up his personal life to give advice and create a positive presence in the wake of a negative outcome. Frank discussed with me about just how passionate he is about the cause behind his social media fame, what he looks to do in the future, and what a truly nice guy he is. Q: Let's begin with how you started out blogging and becoming an avid YouTuber that has quite the following. Was there a specific moment or occurrence in your life that led you to get involved with social media sharing your story and helping other gay dads? A: My real start was on

Plastic Martyr

Plastic Martyr is not only a friend to Make A Difference but he has also been one of our favorite models to keep a close eye on. His style is unique, modern and all in all stunning. We first found him through a photographer we have worked with in the past named Austin Young. Lately Plastic Martyr has been releasing new photos onto his Facebook and I must add they just get better and better the natural beauty is so extreme he makes it look easy to look like you just came off of the red carpet of superstars! Here are some of his latest releases of work. Both of these photos have this modern yet elegant renaissance style to it. This has to be one of my all time favorite photos! In these Plastic has obviously changed his general look from pale blond beauty to a tan dark haired neck breaker and again STUNNING! This must be the most stunning dress I have ever seen plastic in its elegantly designed and seems to have a link to a blooming flower bud. Now don’t get nervous everyone yes